Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Wednesday = Busy Day

My day started off with a dentist appt. at 7:10..who knew the dentist was even open that early? I received a bit of bad news while being there..my very first cavity. I have always prided myself on never having had a cavity..well the good luck streak is over! The news was traumatic that early in the morning!

After the dentist, it was off to my sister's house to wait on Katherine to wake up from her nap. While driving to her house, I received a call from my contractor, Mike. Have I mentioned before how great he is? He is always easy to get in touch with and always on top of things. He let me know I needed to drop by the new house and leave a check for the rest of my windows..who knew windows were so expensive??

When Katherine woke up, it was time to load up the car to go shop for granite!! My countertop man gave me an address for a place downtown that had slabs of granite and he suggested I go down and find the one I liked best. Since my parents are at the beach under an umbrella enjoying a much deserved vacation, I needed my sister's expertise help. Thank goodness I did not venture down to this store by myself...it was in a very sketchy part of town! After driving around and finding a safe place to park the car, we went inside and saw a warehouse full of marble, granite, and onyx. OMG!! For all you Real Housewives of New Jersey fans (I'm obsessed) this place would have been Teresa's heaven!
The sales lady gave me a clip-board and guided us in the direction of the granite. I tried to tell her not to show me anything that wasn't in my budget because I would probably pick one that I couldn't afford! She said she suggested I go through by myself, write down the ones I liked, then come back inside the office and she would give me their prices. If you know me at all, you know I make super-fast decisions and have very specific tastes. If I like something, I know it when I see it. So it actually didn't take us that long to find the ones we liked the best. Below are pics from the granite store.


Disregard my sister's hand in the way.

Here's the winner...Absolute Black!!!!

This is the money shot. Katherine loved my choice!!

I knew I wanted something black because I'm planning to do white cabinets. If you like swirls and colors in your granite, this place is the place for you..they basically had every color and style you could imagine. I only came back with three choices on my clipboard and thankfully they were all in my price range! My favorite was Absolute Black. After we left I called my countertop man and told him the good news. All I need to do now is buy my new sink so he can cut for that in the granite.

After finishing with the granite, it was time to head over to the new house and pay some bills. The painters are in the middle of painting and it already looks 100% better!! While at the house, I received some WONDERFUL news. Mike told me he had a final price on my cabinets, and it was MUCH lower than the first two estimates. One lesson I have learned during the renovation process is to always get more than one quote. The first quote I received for the refacing of my cabinets was 5 times this quote!! Since I was on cloud nine, I decided to save Mike a trip and I went and paid for the cabinets myself. Oh the joys of being an adult! I also called my flooring man and left him a message about which floors I have decided on. I feel like things are finally truckin' along.

1 comment:

  1. that picture of K is precious!! You're first cavity!! Oh no, I've never had one either, can we get them this late?? So glad your house is coming along well, can't wait to see more pics!!

    ReplyDelete

 
Site Design by Designer Blogs