Monday, July 25, 2011

Rainbow Cupcakes

I have been dying to make rainbow cupcakes...it seems like every blog I read and every time I'm on Pinterest, rainbow cakes and cupcakes are all I see.  When Sister got back from her dr's appt this morning, we decided to give it a whirl.  We received our inspiration from here.  (BTW, if you've never read her blog, add it to your list...it's a great one!)

After much debate, we decided to make cupcakes instead of a large cake...we thought it would be easier.  Making these sweet treats is a very tedious process.  Sister and I were on our feet for several hours...we are both perfectionists and got a little OCD when smoothing out each layer.  After completely filling up one pan, we made 'tiny' cupcakes with just a few colors with our leftover icing...hence the tiny cupcakes you will see below.

We mixed up our white cake mix, divided it into six bowls and made our six 'rainbow' colors.


We layered in each color, smoothing each one out with a spoon before pouring the next.


The batter filled up almost each cup entirely...we were afraid that when they baked, they would overflow...but they didn't!


The recipe suggested using cupcake liners, but we forgot them and they turned out great without them!


Homemade cream cheese frosting...YUM!


I piped on the icing....


Voile!  They turned out like perfect little rainbows!
(And yes, they tasted just as delicious as they look!)



Now, I'm no Betty Crocker, but I was very proud of us when I saw how great they turned out.  They are so cute...they just make you smile!  Happy baking, everyone!  :)
post signature

3 comments:

  1. Genius! That has our name written all over it!! We'll be trying that out pronto!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Virginia, thanks for the shout out! Your cupcakes look great --- makes me wish I had one right now! Love your blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. yummy and adorable! i'm impressed, ladies!

    ReplyDelete

 
Site Design by Designer Blogs