Monday, March 26, 2012

Swirl, Sniff, Sip and Swallow: Part 1

"The Four S's "-that's how I spent the majority of my Spring Break!  I spent four wonderful days in Napa...a.k.a. "An Adult's Disney World".  For those of you who don't know my family, wine is very important to us.  Daddy and Momma D developed a love for the purple liquid a long time ago.  The two of them have been to Napa so many times that they don't even need a map!  They know all the backroads, cut throughs and quickest routes to all the hot spots.  Given the love my parents have for wine country, I was eager to experience it for my first time with them.

We started planning our getaway months ago...I wanted to hit as many wineries as I possibly could while I was out there.  We were supposed to fly out Sat, the 17th, at 5:50 AM...after checking in and going through security, we found out they had oversold our flight and we wouldn't be making it to Napa by noon.  Upset doesn't even begin to cover it...we had reservations at a winery that afternoon, not to mention it messed up our luggage, rental car, etc.  By the time we finally made it to Napa Saturday night, we had been awake for 24 hours...felt like we were flying to Europe!

I took over 500 pictures while I was out there.  In an effort to not completely overwhelm everyone with pictures, I'm dividing our trip into three parts...one for each day.  Enjoy!



Dad and I were thrilled to finally be boarding a plane...just wish it had not been almost 10 hours after our original flight!  


Even though there were no grapes on the vines, I was mesmerized by the beauty of the vines.



When I saw this sign, I knew I had finally made it!


We didn't eat at the restaurant below, but I had to at least photograph such a world renowned dining hot spot!


My very first tasting was at Whitehall Lane (WHL).  WHL is what I like to call the "Decker Family" wine...we drink it all the time and it's our go-to bottle for nightly meals.  It's probably the first wine I ever remember drinking that I really enjoyed.  It meant a lot to me that my journey in Napa started here.


Along with our private tasting, we did a little touring, too!



I knew whatever was behind these gorgeous doors was going to be wonderful...


And I was right!  It lead to these beautiful glass doors which lead to...


the HUGE WHL logo which represents the Leonardini family (owners of WHL).


I felt super cool when I saw this table full of wine and snacks just for US!


We tasted all of these amazing reds!


Jennifer hosted our tasting...think she probably thought we were OOC!


On the balcony of WHL...we were all happy campers after our over-the-top tasting!


After a yummy lunch at Rutherford Grill, we stopped by Silver Oak!


Along with our wine tasting and eating, we also did some shopping on Sunday...we were exhausted after our busy day so Daddy D built us a "fire" when we got back to our room.  It was in the 30s at night!



Sunday was the perfect start to the trip....little did I know that it would only get better!  Stay tuned for Part 2!


post signature

1 comment:

  1. I felt like I was reading part of my own story at the beginning of your post. My parents are huge wine people & go to napa atleast 2x a year. we have been 2x and it is absolutely fantastic. we have been to almost every place you have blogged about so far and your pictures are making me want to go back NOW! the 1st time we went was march (beautiful mustard plants) 4 years ago and the 2nd time was october (so much more happening grape wise) 1.5 yrs ago. cant wait to read about your day 3!

    ReplyDelete

 
Site Design by Designer Blogs