Saturday, May 16, 2009

Let the Adventure Begin

I am finally taking the leap and buying my first home. I am still a little leary on taking the plunge, but my dad, who also happens to be my financial planner, assures me I am making the right decision. For my real-estate agent, I have enlisted the expertise of my brother-in-law Blake, who is a commercial real-estate broker. He is helping me out of the goodness of his heart and because, well, he's family! Without his help, this process would have been nearly impossible. If you know me at all, you know there is drama around every corner, so I was expecting the home-buying experience to be quite the adventure...and boy was I right!

Originally, I had wanted to buy a move-in ready house. I have a wonderful and talented family, but no one specializes in home repairs. We're more the type of we know who to call to fix it. Also, I was not willing to compromise on location. I wanted to find something that was close to everything I do (shopping, going out, etc) and of course close to my sister and her family. Did I mention I have the most adorable niece, who just turned 8 months old this week?
The first time I went in the house I am about to purchase, I cried. It was horrible...blue carpet with pet stains, outdated appliances, stained walls and ceilings. I told my dad there was no way I could ever live there. I mean, it would require almost an entire gut-job. But...it was in the perfect location! It was ten minutes from my sister's house and only five minutes away from the Summit! haha

After much debate and thought, I decided to make an offer. The offer was accepted and we were scheduled to close on April 30th. Well, that of course didn't happen. I find out last minute that my house is in a flood-zone and that I need to have my house surveyed. Who knew getting your house surveyed was such an expensive task?? We then rescheduled the closing for May 14th. Well, that didn't happen either. Now, we're set to close on Monday, May,18th. I am very anxious to close, so the renovations can begin. I'm planning to install new flooring throughout the whole place, update the entire kitchen, and completely re-paint the inside. Guess I need to buy a hard-hat and a tool belt..Anyone know where I can find a pink tool belt? haha
Say a prayer I finally get to close and I will get the keys to my first place!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Site Design by Designer Blogs